Sunday, August 9, 2009

I DID IT!!!

The hottie to my left is Calee, my brother Tony's wife. Bobby took this pic as we were passing my house early in the run.

On July 25th, 2009 I ran and finished my first 10K, with my adorable sister-in-law Calee by my side. I set a personal goal, a lofty one for me, once I had been running for a while, to run the 10K on the morning of our city's Pioneer Day celebration. I did it! It took me a long time and it wasn't fun, but I did it! Bobby, my mom, Tony and Haley were all there for us at the finish line and I could hardly hold back the tears as we approached the end.

I'm so excited that I stuck with training for it when I seriously didn't know at times if I could actually accomplish the task. For me, it's been so nice to run alone where I'm not worried about holding anyone back or carrying on a conversation. This has been so nice to just go with no interruptions. As I have been working towards this, I could tell I was making progress along the way when I no longer had to carry a water bottle to sip on every 1/4 mile; when I could talk a little when running with a partner and not die; not stop to catch my breath; and listen to soothing music rather than motivating, blaring music.

I challenge any and all who read this post to set a goal and go for it. Don't even think about quitting! I'm so much better for it, and if I can do it, you can too!

On to my next goal, a mini-tri next Spring...

3 comments:

Mendon Packs said...

awesome!

Shaleace said...

You are amazing! I am so proud of you! I know you can do a mini tri next spring. Best of luck training!

Gayleen said...

I think it was a major accomplishment to run to soothing music. I still need my 'motivation' songs! Good luck and look forward to hearing about your mini tri!