Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Fair Trade



(Pre-Post disclosure: I have decided to be a little more candid in my blog, hoping it doesn't backfire. I want to be a little more 'real life'. Not to flaunt my issues but to (a) document what's really going on and not candy-coat things for my own personal journaling, and to (b) share in the hopes that maybe sometime, someone, somewhere will gain from my honesty.)


This is the lowest dose I was ever taking of this 'wonder' drug. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have been taking this since Bobby was just about recovered from his back surgery and we were waiting for his retirement to go through. It helped me and my family tremendously, so it served its purpose. There was a time that I didn't care if I had to take it for the rest of my life, because it helped so much. Well, that time has come and gone. I've been mentally and emotionally ready to stop the medication for some time, but not able to completely wean off of it. I was getting horrible headaches and having an increase in weird behavior, like pulling at my hair and eyelashes, biting the skin off my bottom lip, and clenching my teeth.

Out of complete desperation I starting running. Once I got a taste of how it made me feel, I was sold on the idea that it was good for me in so many ways. I still don't love running, but it's the feeling I have when I'm finished and getting a 'second wind' or 'runner's high' while I'm running that I love. Because of my consistency in running, I was able to trade my meds for these.

I'm amazed at how much better I feel physically and mentally when I am running consistently. I wish I could say that I lost all the weight I wanted to but that's not the case, however I am literally taking one step at a time and now I feel empowered to do much more. Yay me!

No comments: